POINT: DU-12 (GOVERNING VESSEL-12)
|Also Known As:||Body's Pillar|
- On the midline of the upper back, in the depression below the spinous process of the third thoracic vertebra.
- Between the spinous processes of the third and fourth thoracic vertebra.
- Inferior to the spinous process of the third thoracic vertebra on the posterior midline.
- Perpendicular-oblique superior insertion 0.5 to 1 cun.
- Caution: the spinal canal lies between 1.25 and 1.75 cun deep to the skin surface, varying according to body type.
- Straight insertion pointed slightly upward, 0.7 to 1 cun. Sensation: distention and soreness or heavy, sinking feeling toward the lower back.
- Moxibustion is applicable.
- Pacifies Wind in the DU channel (reducing method)
- Eliminates Interior Wind (reducing method)
- Calms spasms (reducing method)
- Tonifies Lung Qi (reinforcing method)
- Disperses Lung Qi
- Strengthens the body (reinforcing method)
- Expands and relaxes the chest
- Calms the Shen
- Clears Heat
- Dispels Wind-Heat
- This point is used to strengthen the body after debilitating illnesses.
- It is used when the patient needs help getting through it all.
- Use moxa to reinforce.