POINT: ST-18 (STOMACH-18)
|English:||Root of the Breast|
|Also Known As:||Breast Root|
- On the chest, directly below the nipple, on the lower border of the breast in the fifth intercostal space, four cun lateral to the anterior midline (REN Channel).
First find the second intercostal space, the find the fifth intercostal space, three spaces below it.
In males, the nipple lies in the fourth intercostal space.
On a woman, this point lies on the root of the breast, inferior to the breast tissue itself; in females, the nipple the nipple is unlikely to lie four cun lateral to the midline and should not be used as a reference point.
- Oblique insertion 0.3 to 0.5 cun.
- Transverse insertion 0.5 to 1 cun
- Moxibustion is applicable
- Transverse-oblique insertion laterally or medially 0.5 to 1 cun, or transverse insertion superiorly or inferiorly along the channel.
Deep or perpendicular insertion carries a substantial risk of puncturing the Lung.
- Benefits the breasts
- Reduces swelling
- Diffuses Lung Qi
- Regulates Stomach Qi
- Expands and relaxes the chest
- Alleviates cough and wheezing
- Expedites and facilitates lactation
- Dispels stagnation
- This point is mostly used as a local point for breast problems, especially in women.